Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Holy Family grad discusses NASA job

Julie Blum
Columbus Telegram

Another NASA Learn to Earn prepares for the Moon and beyond...today


While working on the lunar lander project has continued to be challenging and exciting, Nienaber said the most rewarding projects he has been a part of occurred after the Space Shuttle Columbia burned up on reentry in 2003. He worked on a team that created tools and techniques to repair the Shuttle’s thermal protection system while in orbit.

Nienaber said he has “one of the coolest jobs” he could imagine, and wanted to share his enthusiasm for his profession to Lindsay Holy Family students. He wanted to get the students excited about science, technology and engineering.

“Most importantly, students in rural America need to hear from people that have these jobs and believe that they really can do anything they set their minds to,” Nienaber said. “I didn’t consider myself an exceptional student, and I’m not sure I really did believe when I was in school that my career could have led to involvement in developing a lunar lander. So it is all about giving them ideas on what they could do.”

Read the story HERE.